Thursday, September 20, 2012

Methstruction of a Child

Where do you start to explain to a blank computer page about how Meth has consumed a family for over 22 years?

Child Protective Services placed my infant grandson in my arms after he detoxed from drugs in the hospital. He detoxed along with his mother, my child, who had to have an emergency C-section. He was born early but not too early. They stayed one week and she eventually got her program of recovery going and they both lived with me, along with the father.

Within one year, the parents broke up, the father was in prison and my daughter was on treatment for HCV. Most likely contracted when shooting up drugs.

At this point, I still didn't know it was meth. I didn't know much about meth at all but did know my daughter was an addict. Her first overdose was at 13 years old and first treatment after a horrible night watching her heart monitor jump around the 150 and 180 beats per minute with a crash cart next to her bed until she recovered. She could not tell the doctors what she overdosed on because she didn't know who or where she was. My baby girl who was suppose to be doing homework at a friend's house was certainly at the friend's house, but not doing homework.

That was the first plung of methstruction in our family, at the age of 13, what I thought was her hitting bottom was only just beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Good Lord, how awful for you.
    Hang in there, I'm with you, and proud of you.

    Suerte

    ReplyDelete